Posts Tagged 10 mistakes
As we all know, making mistakes is part of the learning process. More often than not, you just have to learn things the hard way.
But if you’re lucky, someone who has already done something stupid will tell you about it, and thus spare you the bother of repeating the same mistake.
* Leaving the lens cap on when preparing to take someones picture.
This is something I’m sure everyone has done at least once, and isn’t such a big deal really. But doing this when photographing a TV anchorman in the middle of huge open office area, full of media people watching their coworker being photographed? Priceless.
* Using your new flash on assignment before properly learning how it works.
Shortly after getting my first Speedlite (in early 2006 this was) I was hired to photograph a prominent Icelandic politician and his equally well-known wife. I hadn’t read anything about the settings and just decided to wing it, and spent a good deal of time and energy fooling around with it while talking a mile a minute, hoping nobody would realize that I hardly knew what I was doing. Needless to say, the best photo I got that day was taken without the damn flash.
- Flickr Joins 500px As Stock Agency. Is Instagram Next?We knew it was coming but it wasn’t just the expectation that made the announcement from Flickr such an anti-climax. The declaration that the photo-sharing site will now provide its own way for members to license their images, following the end of its agreement with Getty, was also disappointingly short of details. Flickr’s members can […]Dean
- How To Sell Your Photos If You Shoot: LandscapesSo you like to shoot landscapes. When the weekend rolls around you like nothing more than to pack up your camera and head to somewhere pretty and photogenic, a place filled with trees and dappled sunlight or snow and rocks. You probably already have a hard drive filled with beautiful photos of beautiful places. It […]Dean
- Will 500px Prime Give Photography Enthusiasts Money For Their Art?500px, the artistic photo-sharing platform, might just be about to launch a new revolution in stock photography. Prime, the site’s licensing arm, officially opened on April 3rd following a soft launch that started shortly after the beginning of the year. The service allows the site’s users to sell licenses for their images. Like microstock sites, […]Dean
- How To Shoot A Million Dollar SelfieEllen DeGeneres was probably overplaying Bradley Cooper’s photography skills when she called that image the “best photo ever.” But the #Oscar post that broke the record for the largest number of retweets on Twitter might also have broken another record: for the world’s most valuable image. With over 3 million retweets, the picture, with its […]laurie
- It’s Not Travel Photography, But Photographing Travelers May Be Photography’s Next Big ThingPhotography: Paola Colleoni On a trip to Paris with her best friend two years ago, Nicole Smith did what everyone does on vacation. As she and her friend stood at tourist sites, she would take out her phone, hold it at arm’s length and snap a few selfies. Sometimes the pair would buttonhole a passing […]Dean
- Women To Get A Stronger Image In Stock PhotographyThe stock industry is about to change. We’ve heard that before but this time the change, if it happens, will be positive, affect content rather than distribution and will give new opportunities to photographers to shoot not just more images but more interesting images. The change is coming from Sheryl Sandberg. Facebook’s CEO has teamed […]Dean
- 8 Steps To Better Photography SalesMoving from photography enthusiast to a photography enthusiast whose pictures earn money doesn’t just take talent, skill and effort. It takes talent, skill and the right effort. Here are eight things that you need to be doing right now if you’re going to make money from your images. 1. Promote yourself on Flickr and 500px […]laurie
- The Top Shared Professional Pictures On Social Media in 2013It’s nice to get paid for an image but if you can’t get paid for an image, you can at least get praised for it. Through social media, that’s easy. Build a following, put up a great picture and watch those likes, shares, views and comments flood in. Of course, for some photographers, accounts and […]laurie
- The Changing Face Of PhotopreneurialismFor a while at least, photography enthusiasts who wanted to make a little money from their photos, had it easy. Or at least they had it easier than they used to have it. Not only had the prices of professional-quality digital cameras fallen to an affordable level but at the same time, photo-sharing sites made […]Dean
- Strange Photography Classes You’ve Never ConsideredSure, you know all about f-stops and composition. You’ve taken classes on lighting and landscape photography. But there’s a lot you don’t know — and a long list of photography classes and workshops that you’ve never even considered. Here are a bunch of them. Photograph Ghosts, Ghoulies and Things That Go Bump in the Night […]laurie
- Your Biggest Photography Fears (And How To Beat Them)It’s not the quality of your images that’s stopping you from making more sales and building even a part-time photography business. It’s your fears. To get them out of the way and create the growth you deserve, you first have to identify them — then squish them. You’ll probably find at least one — and […]laurie
- Instagram Stock Sites Struggle, Art SellsBacked by Facebook, Instagram is now the main platform for shooting and sharing. With more than 130 million members, 45 million images uploaded each day and a billion daily likes spreading those photos across accounts, Instagram is the most important tool for casual snappers and photography enthusiasts who want to capture interesting scenes and show […]Dean
- Documenting Poverty Brings a Career and Recognition for Bangladeshi PhotojournalistPhotography: GMB Akash Few photographers will have started with the odds stacked so highly against them as GMB Akash. Born in Bangladesh, Akash had no access to photography galleries or darkrooms when he was growing up. There were no opportunities for him to work as an assistant to a well-known professional, learn the trade and […]Dean
- Even the Best Photography Enthusiasts Have Their LimitsIt doesn’t matter how much talent a photography enthusiast might have, what equipment they own or how comprehensive their technical skills, there are a number of jobs that they’re just never going to land. When it comes to the biggest, the most lucrative and the most demanding photography gigs, paying clients will always turn to […]laurie
- How Good Are Your Photoshop Skills?Photographers who want to improve their landscape photography, to pick up some new wedding photography techniques, or to learn how to shoot children are spoilt for choice. Search on Google for a “photography workshop” and you’ll get more than 67 million results. Whatever kind of photography you want to practice, from snapping models to capturing […]Dean
- Photographers to Get (Small) Reward for Their Creative Commons ImagesImage courtesy: Dotspin Someone is benefitting from your Creative Commons-licensed images, and it probably isn’t you. Sure, you might get a little thrill out of knowing that you’re helping a designer with a small budget (or a blogger with no budget) to use an attractive image. And if you’re able to see your pictures in […]Dean
- Flickr Joins 500px As Stock Agency. Is Instagram Next?
- Water Splash Photography Made Easy June 21, 2017How exciting is it to freeze things in action? High-speed photography and water make the perfect recipe to get stunning images – and creating them is incredibly fun and easy too! Here are some tips for doing your own water splash photography. What will you need to do splash photography? You will definitely need an […] The post Water Splash Photography Made E […]Stefan Mogyorosi
- How to Create and Shoot Night Portraits June 21, 2017If you limit your portrait photography to daylight, you’re missing out on a chance to get some really cool people photos. Whether you just want something better from your camera automatically, or you want complete control of the light in the scene, there’s something in this article for you. Read on to get some tips […] The post How to Create and Shoot Night […]Sean McCormack
- Four Common Myths About Full-Frame Cameras Dispelled June 20, 2017One of the beautiful things about modern digital photography is the astronomical degree of choice that is available to us. No matter whether you’re a professional photographer, a weekend warrior, or a casual enthusiast who just likes to take snapshots of your kids, your food, or your feet – there are dozens, even hundreds, of […] The post Four Common Myths A […]Simon Ringsmuth
- How to Create a Double Exposure Effect Using Photoshop June 20, 2017What is a double exposure effect? In days of yore, back when DSLR cameras were SLR, a roll of film was inserted in the back of your camera to give you 24 or 36 exposures. A double exposure was created in-camera by taking two different photos on the same frame of film. When I did […] The post How to Create a Double Exposure Effect Using Photoshop by Sarah Hip […]Sarah Hipwell
- How to Practice Low Impact Nature Photography June 19, 2017In many parts of the world, spring has blossomed into summer, furry and feathered babies were being born and summer is on its way. Photographers are pulling out their camera gear and finally heading back outside for some nature photography. I am so ready to get out and photograph the bounty that warm weather brings, I […] The post How to Practice Low Impact […]Lara Joy Brynildssen
- How to Have Fun with Shutter Speed and Added Motion Blur June 19, 2017If you think learning is a boring task, you definitely haven’t studied photography. To make this point, I decided to explain the relationship between shutter speed and movement by spending the day at a theme park. Image blur – unwanted or not When you get an unwanted blur in your photograph it can be very […] The post How to Have Fun with Shutter Speed and A […]Ana Mireles
- 10 Reasons Why it’s a Good Idea to Start Producing Video Content June 18, 2017If you spend any amount of time online you’ll be well aware of the rapid expansion of access to video content that has happened over recent years. Being largely user driven, this content varies from professionally produced through to home videos of cats, puppies and everything in between. With the increase in internet speeds and processing power […] The post […]Damian Caniglia
- Quick Review of the Sigma 135mm F1.8 DG HSM Art Lens June 18, 2017In this quick review of the Sigma 135mm f1.8 Art Lens, I will go over some of its features and give you my overall impression of this lens. Photographers like gear I belong to several photography groups, both online as well as within my local area, and often times when we meet, we end up […] The post Quick Review of the Sigma 135mm F1.8 DG HSM Art Lens by Ka […]Karthika Gupta
- How to Boost your Lightroom Performance and Improve Speed June 17, 2017Are you running out of space on your hard drive? If you’re both a prolific photographer and a Lightroom user the answer may be yes. A hard drive that’s close to being full is bad news because it slows down Lightroom and just about every other application that you use on your computer. So how […] The post How to Boost your Lightroom Performance and Improve Sp […]Andrew S. Gibson
- 7 Tips for Finding Inspiration When You’re Stuck June 17, 2017Artists are funny creatures and many of us struggle with creativity. Working out what we want to do, how to stand apart from others. What is really needed is to find your muse, or in other words, finding inspiration. It is a rare artist that doesn’t need inspiration to work. For the rest of us, […] The post 7 Tips for Finding Inspiration When You’re Stuck by […]Leanne Cole
- Water Splash Photography Made Easy June 21, 2017
- Texture Effects 2 $10 Off and Discount Coupon For All Topaz Plugins
- World's Most Powerful HDR Software - Exclusive Discount
- Amazing Pro Nik Photoshop Plugins - 100% Off - 100% Free
- Try Adobe Stock Free for One Month - Ends Soon!
- Topaz Full Photo Collection - Half Price - All Plugins For $249.99
- Topaz Texture Effects Sale - $49.99
- PhotoshopSupport and Adobe Exclusive Deal On Creative Cloud Photography Plan - Save Up To 20% On Your First Year
- Adobe Announces Major Updates to its Entire Photoshop and Lightroom Product Line
- Merging multiple images to create a panorama
- All About Smart Objects - Free Video Tutorial